History of Ahern

previous arrow
next arrow

Ahern Waste Management and Recycling were established in Harold Hill in 1948 by our founder Patrick Ahern. The business originally comprised two Bedford 5 cubic yd drop side tipping vehicles. These vehicles collected wastes from the roadside and were then transported to local disposal sites.

In 1961 we relocated to Crow Lane, Romford.  A fleet of Skip vehicles were added to better service growing demand in the East London area. By the late 1960’s the fleet had been further expanded again. We added mobile compaction vehicles and began to supply specialist containers and bins. Soon after, the company began to operate transfer stations and landfills for industrial and commercial wastes.

Throughout the 1970’s and 1980’s we continued to provide waste management services for a growing range of waste producers. This included the supply of secure containers for the safe disposal of asbestos at our own landfill site.

In 2005, we transferred our current head office and main operational activities from Crow Lane to a purpose built Materials Recovery Centre in Oliver Close, West Thurrock.

Today, we remain a family owned business focused on the needs of our customers.